The Altare family acquired the domain in 1948: Joseph Altare purchased the 5-hectare property located at La Morra, in Piedmont. The vineyard planting includeNebbiolo, Barbera, and Dolcetto vines. The property was made famous by Elio Altare, Joseph's grand-son. After a trip in Burgundy in 1976, Elio returned with the conviction that radical changes needed to occur in the winemaking culture and methods on his domain. Following a very challenging battle, Elio managed to implement new techniques to improve the quality of his wines. His resilience resulted in new interpretations of his vineyard marked by a focus on elegance, finesse, and balance. Elio Altare estate now covers 10 hectares and produces 60 000 bottles annually.