The story of the Viu Manent winery is closely linked to the history of Chilean wines and their recent international expansion.
In 1935, Miguel Viu-García, a Catalan immigrant, founded Bodegas Viu in Santiago de Chile with his two sons, Agustín and Miguel Viu-Manent. Specialised in the wine trade, this company sells wines bottled on their premises under the brand name "Vinos Viu".
A new era in the family's history began in 1966 when Miguel Viu Manent acquired the San Carlos de Cunaco estate in the Colchagua Valley, which included plots of old Malbec vines. In the early 1990s, the estate was reorganised with the ambition of producing fine Central Valley wines that would express the potential and richness of Chile's finest terroirs well beyond the country’s borders.
Currently present in over 30 countries, Viu Manent is an must-know reference and is poised among the finest Chilean wine producers. The estate watches over 325 hectares of land that is spread over 3 vineyards. Located in the Colchagua Valley D.O. and recognised as one of the oldest terroirs in Chile, the San Carlos vineyard was planted in the mid-19th century with pre-phylloxera French grape varieties. A pioneer and constantly seeking the perfect balance between the vine and its terroir, Viu Manent carried out extensive research at the end of 1980 to find terroirs poised to produce exceptional wines. This is how the vineyards of Capilla and El Olivar Alto were born in the Peralillo region.
The wines from the Viu Manent estate are enchanting due to their bright fruity expression with a supple, refined structure and rich aromas.